- Corporate activity
- Automatic enrolment
- DB schemes
- DC schemes
- Finance & investment
- International pensions
- Pension Protection Fund
- Pension de-risking
- Pensions & investment litigation
- Public sector pensions
- State pension changes
- Scheme funding
- Scheme governance
- The Pensions Regulator
The Pensions Regulator
TPR is the regulator of occupational trust based pension schemes in the UK.
The Pensions Regulator currently has five main objectives: to protect members benefits; to reduce the risk of a scheme entering the Pension Protection Fund; to maximise compliance with the automatic enrolment duties; to promote good administration of occupational pension schemes; and to minimise any adverse impact on the sustainable growth of an employer (in relation to scheme funding). The Government is planning to introduce a statutory requirement for TPR to consider affordability of contributions in the context of scheme funding shortly.
The circumstances in which TPR’s powers can be exercised are wide-ranging, as are those who may be subject to them.
How we can help
- Assisting trustees and sponsors of DB schemes in liaising with TPR on all matters
- Assisting trustees of DC schemes in relation to TPR’s code of practice and governance statement
- Advice on anti-avoidance (and its associated clearance procedure) on corporate activity including transactions or restructuring
- Negotiating with TPR in relation to scheme funding issues
- Assisting employers regarding their auto-enrolment duties and surrounding compliance issues
- Advising sponsors and trustees on compliance with, and enforcement action proposed by, TPR
- Liaison with TPR is an increasingly important part of scheme governance in a number of discrete areas.
- Advising the trustees of the Sea Containers pension scheme in relation to the imposition of an FSD
- Advice to the trustees of the Royal Mail Pension Scheme in relation to the transfer of assets to Government
- Advice to the trustees of the EMI pension scheme following a Warning Notice on scheme funding issued by TPR.
For more information