Ian advises for a number of DB and DC pension schemes including funding and valuation discussions, governance and corporate activity. He has gained extensive pensions law experience on a wide range of issues. This includes acting as an arbitrator and as an expert witness in court proceedings.
Ian is the firm’s Senior Partner but works full-time on client matters. Ian is Chairman of the firm’s independent trustee company (ITL). As independent chairman or trustee of several pension funds, he has gained a good appreciation of the issues faced by trustee boards from a client perspective. He is also chair of Aegon UK’s independent governance committee.
For the second year running, Ian has been named as one of the top 50 people in pensions by Engaged Investor.
Ian is a former Chairman and Secretary of the Association of Pension Lawyers and a former Chairman of the Association of Professional Pension Trustees (APPT). He writes extensively for the pensions and national press, and lectures widely.
Memberships and Qualifications
Membership of professional bodies:
Association of Pension Lawyers (Full Member, former Chairman and Secretary)
Association of Professional Pension Trustees (Full Member, current Chairman)
Qualified: 1980, England & Wales
Pensions experience since: 1982
Joined Sackers: 1996
Joined partnership/LLP: 1996
Employers: Trower Still & Keeling (1978-1981)
Nicholson Graham & Jones (1981-1996)
University of Hull (1974-1977)
Degree: Law Degree
- The “outstanding” Ian Pittaway maintains a reputation as a towering figure in the pensions industry. He is known for providing advice to numerous high-profile clients. “His breadth of experience shines through in the quality of advice he gives,” say clients – Chambers UK 2017
- Named as a leading lawyer, Legal 500 2016
- Named as one of the top 50 people in pensions, Engaged Investor 2016, 2015
- Senior partner Ian Pittaway is described by impressed market observers as “one of Sacker’s great strengths.” He has tremendous experience and expertise in the pensions arena and acts for a number of the highest-profile clients. Pittaway recently advised the trustee of the HSBC pension scheme on its closure of the scheme to future accrual – Chambers UK 2016
- Named as a leading lawyer, Legal 500 2015
- Ian Pittaway “is a trusted adviser with great leadership skills,” according to one client, while another adds: “He is very mature, sensible, and is very aware of the political issues.” – Chambers UK 2015
- Named as a leading lawyer, Legal 500 2014
- He is “very measured and authoritative.” Chambers UK 2014
- Named as a leading individual. Legal 500 2013
Extracurricular interests and activities:
Wine, football and forestry.
Tel: + 44 (0)20 7615 9506