Fuat advises trustees and employers of pension schemes (big and small) on everyday issues and project work. His advice routinely includes managing change (whether benefit changes or legislative changes), updating scheme documentation, member communications and advising on the legal aspects of funding issues.
He also has particular expertise advising employers on projects. These range from liability management exercises (such as PIEs and ETVs) to benefit reforms and corporate transactions (M&A activity, TUPE, and public to private outsourcings). He leads the firm’s outsourcing group and is a member of the team that provides transactional support services to other law firms. Recent experience includes advising employers on mitigating the impact of the end of DB contracting out and the forthcoming state benefit changes.
Fuat’s approach is a practical one, with a strong emphasis on finding solutions and helping clients meet their objectives within the required timescales.
Memberships and Qualifications
Membership of professional bodies:
Association of Pension Lawyers (Full Member)
Pensions and Lifetime Savings Association (Central London Group member)
Qualified: 2004, England & Wales
Pensions experience since: 2004
Joined Sackers: 2008, Associate: 2009, Partner 2012
Employers: Ashurst LLP (2002-2008)
Corpus Christi College, University of Oxford (1996-1999)
College of Law, London (2000-2002)
Degree: BA in Modern History
- “Fuat Sami is the lead partner and makes himself readily available for discussions. He has a good understanding of our requirements and what the pension trustees are looking to achieve and can tailor his advice accordingly.” – Legal 500 2023
- Fuat Sami is the name to note for corporate/project and trustee advisory matters. One source adds “Fuat Sami is our main point of contact. His expertise his highly valued within our company and we not hesitate to go to him personally or to recommend him or Sackers to others” – Legal 500 2021
- “very responsive, gives clear, pragmatic advice” – Client quote 2015
- “highly regarded by the trustees and the company” – Client quote 2014
- “hard working“, “dedicated” and “skilful” – Legal 500 2009
Extracurricular interests and activities:
Football, music and travel. As an Everton fan, most Saturday afternoons are spent feeling mildly depressed. Maybe it’s lucky then that I can’t watch too much football these days – if I do, my daughter will gleefully switch off the TV (to my wife’s delight) telling me “no, daddy!”