Arshad KhanAssociate Director
Arshad has over ten years’ experience in contentious pensions work and is a member of our specialist Pensions & investment litigation team.
Having joined Sackers in 2004, Arshad has been involved in a number of high profile pensions cases including:
- the Honda case concerning the construction of pension deeds
- the Prudential case concerning the scope of the employer’s duty of good faith
- TfL’s application for judicial review concerning PPF levies
- the Gallaher rectification case.
Arshad has in-depth experience of a variety of cases before the Pensions Ombudsman and the Pension Protection Fund Ombudsman regarding challenges to PPF levies. He has also been involved in contentious matters involving the Financial Assistance Scheme and the Pensions Regulator in relation to its powers to issue Contribution Notices.
Particular areas of specialism and interest include:
- Ill health cases
- Death benefit distribution cases
- Misquotation of benefits and recovery of overpayments.
Arshad is ranked as a pensions litigation specialist in Chambers UK 2019 (Band 4) and speaks regularly for the Association of Pension Lawyers.
Memberships and Qualifications
Membership of professional bodies:
Association of Pension Lawyers (Full Member);
Pensions and Lifetime Savings Association (Central London Group Member)
Qualified: 1999, England & Wales
Pensions experience since: 2002
Joined Sackers: 2004
Employers: Biddle (subsequently Pinsent Curtis Biddle and Pinsents) (1997-2004)
Christ Church, University of Oxford (1993-1996)
Honours & Awards: Hockey Blue (1994,1995)
- Arshad Khan is an experienced litigator across the full range of contentious pensions-related matters. He regularly deals with claims of professional negligence, Pensions Ombudsman complaints and regulatory investigations – Chambers UK 2020
- Arshad Khan is “thorough, thoughtful and on top of developments,” according to market sources. His varied practice spans a range of technical pensions issues such as Ombudsman claims, rectification and professional negligence matters – Chambers UK 2019
- Arshad Khan advises pensions trustees on litigation and disputes with the Pensions Ombudsman. Sources say that he has ‘a real eye for detail‘ and that he is ‘thoroughly impressive‘ – Chambers UK 2018
- Arshad Khan is building a significant reputation in the area, with experience in cases concerning challenges to Pension Protection Fund (PPF) levies and disputes regarding contribution notices issued by The Pensions Regulator – Chambers UK 2016
- Sources describe associate director Arshad Khan as a “safe pair of hands“, pointing to his experience in high-profile litigation – Chambers UK 2015
- Arshad is a well-regarded solicitor at the firm. He is highly experienced in acting on cases before the Pensions Ombudsman and Pension Protection Fund Ombudsman – Chambers UK 2014
- Arshad is another to impress at the firm. He has in-depth experience handling cases before the Pensions Ombudsman and the Pension Protection Fund (PPF) Ombudsman regarding challenges to PPF levies – Chambers UK 2012
- “Well liked by clients for his positive and calm manner.” – Chambers UK 2010
- “gaining prominence in the market thanks to his “excellent initiative and extreme diligence”. He is also admired as “refreshingly laid-back and great to work with.” – Chambers UK 2009
Regularly presents at APL Beginners Course
Extracurricular interests and activities:
Married with two children, Arshad enjoys playing and watching sport, visiting National Trust properties and is also a fan of the National Gardens Scheme. When at home, he loves spending any free time in the garden usually intent on finding ways to stop squirrels snaffling food left for the native birds.