Claire van ReesPartner
Claire advises trustee and employer clients on a wide range of pensions issues such as pension scheme mergers, liability management exercises, tax legislation and auto-enrolment issues. She also has experience of advising insurance companies on their pensions products, and has a particular interest in defined contribution benefits and master trusts.
Claire sits on the Association of Pension Lawyers’ Legislative and Parliamentary Committee.
Recent experience includes:
- Benefit charge exercises
- Trust deed and rule rewrites for a number of schemes, including drafting new CARE sections
- Advising on amendments to scheme rules to meet auto-enrolment objectives
- Advising on complex tax issues arising out of changes to the annual allowance
- Advising on three scheme mergers
- Advising on section 75 debt issues related to an employer ceasing to participate and taking a bulk transfer from the scheme.
On DC related matters, Claire’s recent experience includes:
- Advising on the set up of three new new master trusts, as well as providing on-going advice to master trusts
- Advising pension product providers on various current issues
- Drafting a new DC section and an auto-enrolment section
- Advising on issues arising from the changes to the statutory definition of money purchase benefits
- Advising on security of asset issues associated with DC platform providers and AVC policies
- Advising on compliance with new legislative and regulatory requirements in respect of DC benefits.
Claire was voted ‘up and coming lawyer of the year’ in the annual survey of pension lawyers in 2014 and 2015.
Memberships and Qualifications
Membership of professional bodies:
Association of Pension Lawyers (Full Member) – Legislative and Parliamentary committee member
Qualified: 2004 (England and Wales)
Pensions experience since: 2004
Joined Sackers: 2010
Joined Partnership/LLP: 2014
Employers: Hogan Lovells LLP (2002-2010)
St Anne’s College, Oxford University (1997-2000)
Nottingham Law School (2000-2001)
Leiden University, Netherlands (2007-2008)
MA (Oxon) in Jurisprudence
Legal Practice Course
LLM (advanced) in Public International Law
APL Introductory Course 2012, 2013 and 2014 – “The Pensions Act 2004, the Pensions Regulator and the PPF”
NAPF Training Course – Managing DC Pensions, 2012 – speaking on DC governance and monitoring and switching DC investment options and providers
Extracurricular interests and activities:
Tel: + 44 (0)20 7615 9573