Tel: § + 44 20 7615 9582
David has over 18 years’ experience advising occupational pension scheme trustees and employers on their DB and DC pension arrangements. His broad practice encompasses interpretation and application of scheme documentation, mergers and demergers, scheme funding, liability management and generally helping both trustees and employers to navigate their way through the increasing maze of pension regulation and legislation.
He also frequently advises on the pensions aspects of corporate acquisitions, disposals and reorganisations and heads up the team that provides transactional support services to other law firms.
David is the lead partner for a number of the firm’s major DB and DC clients.
David became the firm’s senior partner on 1 September 2021. He is responsible for representing and championing the firm to clients, advisers and the wider industry. He also provides leadership and guidance within the firm.
Memberships and Qualifications
Membership of professional bodies:
Association Pension Lawyers (Full Member)
Qualified: 2001, England & Wales
Pensions experience since: 2001
Joined Sackers: 2004
Joined partnership/LLP: 2008
Employers: Slaughter and May (1999-2002)
University of Bristol (1992-1996)
College of Law, Guildford (1997-1999)
Degree: BA (Hons.) French and German
Legal Practice Course and Postgraduate Diploma in Law
- “David offers a practical perspective and is always at hand to talk through issues.” – Chambers UK 2023
- David Saunders assists trustees and employers with a broad array of pension scheme governance issues. He regularly advises on de-risking, liability management and buy-in transactions. “He is knowledgeable and commercial.” – Chambers UK 2022
- David Saunders , who is praised for his ‘calm and balanced’ approach taking over from Ian Pittaway as head of the non-contentious team – Legal 500 2022
- David Saunders has been our longstanding contact within the firm and provides input and advice based on his own wider experience all of which we find incredibly valuable. David also displays an ability to remain calm and balanced even in the most difficult of circumstances – Legal 500 2022
- David Saunders assists trustees and employers with a broad array of pension scheme governance issues. He regularly advises on de-risking, liability management and buy-in transactions. “He’s very good – always very well briefed and very professional. He is a very steady, competent lawyer.” – Chambers UK 2021
- David Saunders is respected by all the fund trustees for his sector knowledge, sound business advice and common sense approach. It is the last quality that makes him different from others in the sector in my experience – Legal 500 2021
- David Saunders is nice, humorous and was sharp in identifying strategic barriers to achieving our goals – Legal 500 2021
- David Saunders assists trustees and employers with a broad array of pension scheme governance issues. He regularly advises on de-risking, liability management and buy-in transactions – Chambers UK 2020