David has experience of a wide range of pension law issues, advising both trustees and employers of pension schemes, large and small.
Recent work has included advising clients making changes to their pension provision, including CARE arrangements and closure to future service accrual, the legal aspects of scheme funding and the Regulator’s anti-avoidance powers and clearance procedures.
David frequently advises on the pensions aspects of corporate acquisitions, disposals and reorganisations and is a member of the team that provides transactional support services to other law firms.
Memberships and Qualifications
Membership of professional bodies:
Association Pension Lawyers (Full Member)
Qualified: 2001, England & Wales
Pensions experience since: 2001
Joined Sackers: 2004
Joined partnership/LLP: 2008
Employers: Slaughter and May (1999-2002)
University of Bristol (1992-1996)
College of Law, Guildford (1997-1999)
Degree: BA (Hons.) French and German
Legal Practice Course and Postgraduate Diploma in Law
- David Saunders advises both trustees and employers on changes to pension schemes, and stands out for his know-how in CARE arrangements and closures to future accrual. He is admired for his “calm, proportionate and sensible” approach – Chambers UK 2017
- Sources affirm that David Saunders is “always reliable, focused and helpful in delivering changes in a practical manner.” He advises trustees and companies on the full range of pensions law matters – Chambers UK 2016
- David Saunders is appreciated by his clients for his “combination of technical expertise and pragmatic, clear advice.” He regularly handles pensions issues arising from corporate transactions, as well as advising clients on scheme changes and funding arrangements – Chambers UK 2015
- “very good understanding of the bigger picture and proportionality issues”
Legal 500 2014 recommended lawyer
- “articulate” and “clever,” and is particularly well known for his transactional support work.
Chambers UK 2014 ranked lawyer
- “robust legal analysis allied with sensible pragmatism, and also impressively fast” – Client quote 2014
Tel: + 44 (0)20 7615 9582