David has over 17 years’ experience advising occupational pension scheme trustees and employers on their DB and DC pension arrangements. His broad practice encompasses interpretation and application of scheme documentation, mergers and demergers, scheme funding, liability management and generally helping both trustees and employers to navigate their way through the increasing maze of pension regulation and legislation.
He also frequently advises on the pensions aspects of corporate acquisitions, disposals and reorganisations and heads up the team the provides transactional support services to other law firms.
David is the lead partner for a number of the firm’s major DB and DC clients.
Memberships and Qualifications
Membership of professional bodies:
Association Pension Lawyers (Full Member)
Qualified: 2001, England & Wales
Pensions experience since: 2001
Joined Sackers: 2004
Joined partnership/LLP: 2008
Employers: Slaughter and May (1999-2002)
University of Bristol (1992-1996)
College of Law, Guildford (1997-1999)
Degree: BA (Hons.) French and German
Legal Practice Course and Postgraduate Diploma in Law
- David Saunders advises a range of interests on a variety of pensions matters including changes to pension provisions, closure to future accrual, and the legal aspects of scheme funding. He has strong client relationships within the financial services industry and with utility companies – Chambers UK 2019
- David Saunders is described by sources as “a good everyday adviser, he provides sensible, pragmatic and direct advice” – Chambers UK 2018
- Listed as a Recommended Lawyer 2017 and 2014, Legal 500
- David Saunders advises both trustees and employers on changes to pension schemes, and stands out for his know-how in CARE arrangements and closures to future accrual. He is admired for his “calm, proportionate and sensible” approach – Chambers UK 2017
- Sources affirm that David Saunders is “always reliable, focused and helpful in delivering changes in a practical manner.” He advises trustees and companies on the full range of pensions law matters – Chambers UK 2016
- David Saunders is appreciated by his clients for his “combination of technical expertise and pragmatic, clear advice.” He regularly handles pensions issues arising from corporate transactions, as well as advising clients on scheme changes and funding arrangements – Chambers UK 2015
- “very good understanding of the bigger picture and proportionality issues”
Legal 500 2014 recommended lawyer
- “articulate” and “clever,” and is particularly well known for his transactional support work.
Chambers UK 2014 ranked lawyer
- “robust legal analysis allied with sensible pragmatism, and also impressively fast” – Client quote 2014