Ian has a wide range of experience advising trustees and employers on pensions related matters, with an emphasis on investment issues.
Ian’s recent experience includes advising on future service benefit changes, apportionments, funding negotiations, liability management including buy-ins and buy-outs, and developments in defined contributions.
On investment related matters, Ian’s experience includes:
- advising the Trustees of the ITV Pension Scheme on their longevity swap with Credit Suisse, which covered £1.7bn of liabilities
- advising on LDI documentation encompassing both segregated IMAs and bespoke pooled fund structures. Ian’s experience includes negotiating the associated ISDA and GMRA documentation
- reviewing and negotiating fiduciary management/implemented consulting agreements with the key players in those markets
- undertaking due diligence on a wide range of pooled funds including hedge funds, private equity and credit.
Memberships and Qualifications
Membership of professional bodies:
Association of Pension Lawyers (Full Member)
Pensions and Lifetime Savings Association (North London Group member)
Qualified: 1999, England & Wales
Pensions experience since: 1999
Joined Sackers: 1999
Joined partnership/LLP: 2007
Employers: Pritchard Englefield
University of Southampton (1993-1996)
The College of Law, Guildford (1996-1997)
Degree: LLB (Hons)
Legal Practice Course (Distinction)
Ian is a regular speaker at conferences and seminars, including:
- Engaged Investor Trustee Forum 2014 – Fiduciary Duties
- NAPF North London Group Conference 2014 – Counterparty risk
- Pensions Investment Academy 2014 – Fiduciary Management