Jacqui is a specialist pensions lawyer with over 15 years’ experience of advising trustees and companies on all aspects of UK pensions law, regulation and industry best practice. She is a DC specialist but also has a thriving DB practice – her clients include trustees/providers of DB and DC schemes (large and small) and international/FTSE 100 and 250 companies who participate in UK and offshore trust and contract-based arrangements.
Jacqui works with a range of occupational and personal pension providers on legal and non-legal DC matters and has a practical appreciation of the key challenges we need to overcome to secure good outcomes for members. She advises independent governance committees (IGC) and chairs provider forums for key industry players which makes her uniquely placed to provide independent ideas and thoughts on issues which span trust and contract pension provision.
Recent experience includes:
- Co-ordinating a group of 11 IGCs and their providers who are collaborating on a new and extensive research programme to understand pension scheme members’ attitudes to “value for money”
- Advising providers of trust and contract-based arrangements on changes to investment strategies / investment platforms on a “without consent” basis
- Advising schemes on their options in relation to deferred members (including transfers out / sweep up exercises)
- Advising on the 2015 retirement flexibilities and the impact of the recent changes to legislation around charges (including specifically in relation to the charges cap, transaction costs and member borne commission)
- Preparing scheme rules, member communications and third party contracts for trustees and providers
- Negotiating various DC investment, platform and administration arrangements
- Advising IGCs on their duties and obligations
- Advising on pension issues arising in corporate transactions and internal restructuring, outsourcing, scheme mergers, wind ups and buy outs
- Advising in relation to offshore arrangements, including set up of QROPS schemes from a UK law perspective
- Advising on member disputes, breach of agreement claims and other day-to-day pension law issues.
Memberships and Qualifications
Membership of professional bodies:
Association of Pension Lawyers (Full Member)
Membership of industry working parties:
Jacqui chairs a closed working group with leading providers and IGCs of work-based personal pension arrangements and members of IGCs, which seeks to move forward industry-wide initiatives on issues which are important to IGCs and their providers.
Qualified: 2002, England & Wales
Pensions experience since: 2001
Joined Sackers: 2016
Joined partnership/LLP: 2017
Employers: Linklaters LLP (2000-2015)
University of Durham (1994-1998)
Nottingham Law School (1998-2000)
Degree: BA Modern European Languages, Postgraduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice Course
Jacqui is a regular speaker and panellist at industry conferences and events on topical DC issues.
Jacqui has written articles for publication and/or been quoted in Professional Pensions, Engaged Investor, Employee Benefits Magazine, Pensions Expert and Pensions Insight on various DC subjects.