Janet deals with all aspects of pensions advice to employers and trustees of both DB and DC arrangements and governance committees of contract based schemes. Her work covers standard documentation work, mergers and de-mergers, corporate transactions and helping both schemes and employers through the increasing world of pensions legislation.
Janet is the day to day partner on a number of large multi-employer DB schemes across the oil, chemical and university sectors and also advises on DC schemes in terms of investment and auto-enrolment compliance.
Janet has written for Professional Pensions on conflicts of interest and Pensions World on various issues such as record keeping, bankruptcy, and pensions reform. She is also a regular speaker having spoken at the PLSA local groups, APL and Pensions Trustee Circle.
Janet’s recent work has included:
- Working for trustees and employers to creative solutions to valuations – including overseas guarantees, funding packages and contingent assets
- Working on a large UK employer’s move to a contract based DC arrangement with a governance committee
- Dealing with Beckmann claims (in relation to early retirement on grounds of redundancy)
- Dealing with scheme funding issues and The Pensions Regulator
- Apportionment and debt on the employer matters
- Advising on auto-enrolment requirements.
Memberships and Qualifications
Membership of professional bodies:
Association of Pension Lawyers (Full Member)
Pensions and Lifetime Savings Association (Central London Group Member and DB Council Member)
Qualified: 1997, England & Wales
Pensions experience since: 1997
Joined Sackers: 1998, Associate: 2004
Joined partnership/LLP: 2006
Employers: Biddle (now part of Pinsent Masons LLP) (1995-1998)
King’s College, University of London (1991-1994)
College of Law, London (1995)
Degree: LLB (Hons) – Law degree
- Janet Brown is described as “very practical, sensible and has a very good technical grasp.” She is well versed in pension mergers and corporate transactions and frequently advises clients on legislation and benefit changes – Chambers UK 2017
- Janet Brown is noted for her handling of scheme mergers, corporate transactions and regulatory issues, among other matters. Clients praise her “solution-centred advice from a strong and deep knowledge, coupled with good humour.” – Chambers UK 2016
- PLSA local groups on buy-ins and buy-outs, corporate restructuring and debt management
- APL on consultation and section 67 of the Pensions Act 1995.
Extracurricular interests and activities:
Tenacious, but snail paced, runner over 5km, 10km and once a year I haul myself round the Great North Run; half marathon. Other time is occupied with worrying about Sunderland AFC’s progress and trying to cram in the book club’s read of the month.
Tel: + 44 (0)20 7615 9554