Philippa deals with all aspects of pensions advice to employers and trustees of both defined benefit and defined contribution arrangements, large and small. Her work covers drafting scheme documentation, advising on scheme mergers and demergers, negotiating public to private sector outsourcing contracts and providing corporate strategy advice around managing defined benefit liabilities.
Philippa frequently advises on the pensions aspects of corporate acquisitions, disposals and internal reorganisations and is a member of the team that provides transactional support services to other law firms.
Philippa is a regular speaker for the PLSA, currently running Part 2 of their Practical Trustee Training course and Module 5 (managing change in workplace pensions) of the PLSA’s Pensions Certificate Programme.
Memberships and Qualifications
Membership of professional bodies:
Fellow of the Pensions Management Institute
Association of Pension Lawyers (Full Member)
Pensions and Lifetime Savings Association
Qualified: 1995, England & Wales
Pensions experience since: 1995
Joined Sackers: 2016
Joined partnership/LLP: 2016
Employers: Rowe & Maw (1993-1997)
University of Sheffield (1989-1991)
College of Law, Chester (1992)
Degree: LLB (Hons) – Law degree
- Clients say “She knows her stuff, is easy to work with and is responsive.” – Chambers UK 2021
- Philippa Connaughton assists clients with a wide variety of issues concerning their defined benefit and defined contribution schemes. Clients praise her ability “to provide solid help in dealing with both an aggressive regulator and complex insolvency issues” – Chambers UK 2020
- Philippa Connaughton advises on the implications arising for defined benefit and defined contribution schemes from corporate transactions, outsourcing and liability management – Chambers UK 2019
- Philippa is a respected practitioner assisting major clients on the full array of pensions matters – Chambers UK 2018
- Philippa has impressed market sources with her proactive attitude and expertise in corporate acquisitions and restructurings. She regularly advises trustees and employers on mergers, outsourcing contracts and liabilities – Chambers UK 2017
- Ranked lawyer in Legal 500 2016
- Philippa regularly advises both employers and trustees on an array of complex pensions issues. Sources say: “She is very bright and very practical. She is never fazed by anything” – Chambers UK 2016
- Philippa Connaughton “is praised for her experience, technical knowledge and commercial approach” – Legal 500 2015