Edward has been a partner at Sackers since 1996 and a pensions specialist since qualifying in 1989. Over this time he has built a strong specialist expertise and knowledge base in all aspects of pensions work. He has extensive experience of advising trustee boards and companies on a wide range of pension issues.
Edward is a trusted lead adviser to some of the largest schemes in the UK. He works closely with the Chairs of the Trustee Boards he advises, and can call upon over 30 years’ experience in pensions to address complex issues when they arise. He has particular experience of advising trustee boards on the impact of corporate change.
Recent work highlights include leading on negotiations relating to covenant protection due to a proposed restructuring, and working closely with another Trustee client in relation to the impact of a proposed joint venture, ultimately concluding successful negotiations to create an agreement covering the legal, funding and covenant structure going forward.
Memberships and Qualifications
Membership of professional bodies:
Association of Pension Lawyers (Full member and formerly an elected member of the Main Committee)
Qualified: 1989, England & Wales
Pensions experience since: 1989
Joined Sackers: 1996
Joined partnership/LLP: 1996
Employers: Nicholson Graham & Jones (1987-1996)
University of Oxford (1983-1986)
Degree: MA in Law
- Edward Hayes advises on the pensions implications of large corporate transactions, in addition to scheme governance and structuring issues. He stands out for his knowledge of the issues faced by trustees. “Edward is excellent. He’s knowledgeable and he communicates in plain, clear English.” – Chambers UK 2022
- Edward Hayes draws praise from clients for his “calm and cheerful manner” and for being “very articulate.” He advises on the pensions implications of large corporate transactions, in addition to scheme governance and structuring issues – Chambers 2020
- Edward Hayes advises both companies and trustees on the full range of pensions matters. Clients say: “He is very friendly and approachable and he explains things very well” – Chambers UK 2019
- Edward Hayes is “very efficient and personable” and that “he always provides advice which is clear and to the point” – Chambers UK 2018
- Edward Hayes impresses with his “sound judgement” and ability to “explain his views well.” He advises both trustee boards and companies on the full spectrum of pensions issues – Chambers UK 2017
- Ranked lawyer in Legal 500 2016
- Edward Hayes advises trustees and employers on the full range of pensions law matters. He acts for a number of high-profile clients, and is described by interviewees as “pragmatic” and “good to work with.” – Chambers UK 2016
- Edward Hayes, who is a “great partner and great advert for the entire firm” – ranked lawyer Legal 500 2015
- Edward Hayes “He is very clear, considered, and knows what he is talking about,” according to market sources – Chambers UK 2015
Extracurricular interests and activities:
Theatre, football, just pottering about.