- Defined benefit (DB)
- Defined contribution (DC)
Our international pensions team monitors developments at EU and global levels, to keep clients abreast of changes that may ultimately affect pension provision in the UK.
With a new EU Pensions Directive aimed at further harmonisation of pension requirements around the EU now in place, and due to be implemented before 13 January 2019, governance and transparency requirements for workplace pensions across Europe are high on the agenda. However, as the timetable for implementation will run largely parallel to the UK’s Brexit negotiations, the extent to which the New Pensions Directive will apply to UK pension schemes (if at all) will depend on the exit terms ultimately agreed between the UK and the EU.
Our lawyers advise on all aspects of global, offshore and cross-border pensions law. The firm is a member of the Ius Laboris global alliance of leading pension, employment and labour law firms that provide expert advice and support on human resources issues relevant to an international workforce. Through Ius Laboris, we are a Corporate and Supporter member of Pensions Europe. Members of the firm are also members of the International Pension and Employee Benefits Lawyers Association.
We advise trustees and employers on setting up and running cross-border schemes and multinational pooling arrangements. We also advise on the issues for international pension schemes, as well as Section 615 schemes and offshore schemes including those in the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey. We help clients manage their pensions obligations in respect of an internationally mobile workforce, including taxation issues, local law requirements and establishing new schemes. We also advise on issues relating to EFRBS (or FURBS as they were previously known), including those targeted at globally mobile employees.
- Advising a major insurance company on setting up a pan-European pension fund, in collaboration with three other Ius Laboris firms
- Advising a multinational employer on setting up a new trust based international DC pension scheme including administration and investment arrangements
- Advising on the winding up and buying-out of the benefits of a Section 615 scheme with a UK insurer
- Advising on the options for a DB Isle of Man scheme in the context of a corporate restructuring
- Advising an employer on obligations for providing support to a Guernsey DB pension scheme.
For more information